Sunday, March 17, 2024

Using the MBA, the iPhone 13 PM, & QuickTime to Capture Video

I was recording video footage today and decided to do two things that I hadn't ever done.

I wanted some really good detailed footage, but also wanted to be able to zoom in on my subject.  My GoPro is usually my primary camera, but it doesn't zoom like a smartphone or DSLR camera.  

I tried to use my PC's Logitech C922 streaming camera, but that doesn't zoom either.  It only produces 1080p footage, as well, but it's pretty clear and my M1 Macbook Air (MBA) immediately detects it; I'm able to use that camera's microphone, too.  The C922 works far better than the camera that is integrated into the MBA (that's a 720p camera).

I'd forgotten that I can now use my iPhone 13 Pro Max as a desktop camera with recent versions of iOS but hadn't tried it.  I tried it and it captures extremely nice footage!  Not only that, there's NO latency - the MBA connects to the iPhone wirelessly and you'd never know it wasn't a wired connection.

As well, I'd been using Photobooth to collect footage.  While the footage is OK, it's also somewhat limited.  I also lost footage, several times...the recording session sometimes freezes.  So I did some quick research on any native methods of recording footage on a Mac.  I found that I can use Quicktime to record footage.  Not only that, I can point it toward the iPhone and leverage the phone as a camera.  Also, I can record audio only, if I've the need to.  Additionally, I can record the desktop!  I can choose between different cameras and can rely upon their audio hardware, and I can even mix up cameras and mics across different devices when using QuickTime.

So, what I did was use QuickTime to record, using the iPhone 13 PM and using the Logitech C922's mic.  I was also able to hold up the subjects of the recording session to the 13 PM and it would focus on the items while they were close-up to the camera.  I'm not sure how to manipulate the camera's resolution and other recording options when using QuickTime, though.  By default, it recorded at 1080p, and used ProRES.

The resulting footage was great.  It had good detail and was not blurry, nor did the focus hunt and change...it maintained focus on it's own.  The recorded file was on the MBA, as well, which is pretty wild...the footage didn't glitch out or have any artifacts and the recording session didn't lag or appear that it was under any stress.  I'd saved the files to my SanDisk 2TB drive, so none of it consumed system drivespace.

I should've been using my 13PM a long time ago.  I'd been trying to use it as a standalone camera, but found that the resulting video files were huge and I'd have to transfer them to the MBA, which was a PITA.  As well, the large files consumed my phone's storage space, so I was always at the space limit.

Using the 13PM as a camera when using the MBA is the better way, by far!

I'll be attempting to determine how to up the recording resolution when using the 13PM as a MBA camera.

BTW, the resulting video is here:



No comments: