Saturday, April 06, 2024

Steam Deck Inbound!

HAHAHAHAHA!!  Yeah, I'm on a tear this year regarding tech.  The last few months I've bought close to $1K in videography equipment.  Now I also bought a Steam Deck.

Which Steam Deck did I get?  The 1 TB OLED model.  It didn't make sense to get the 512 when the 1 TB was only $100 more...seriously.

It shipped yesterday and is supposed to arrive on 4/9.  What I'm worried about are the UPS workers.  These gaming systems tend to disappear after they ship but before they're delivered, which is extremely sad.  It doesn't help that Valve keeps using exterior packaging that labels the package as a Steam Deck (WTF).  I tried to have the shipment diverted to a UPS store (I heard that this method lessens theft - I guess it does since the onus is on the driver at that point), but UPS states that the shipper (Valve) won't allow delivery to UPS stores (WTF Valve).

There's a chance that I won't receive this unit, which will piss me off, as I've waited 5 days for it to ship AND Valve won't allow me to re-route it.  If it ends up "lost", I'll have to reach out to Valve, who will eventually ship me another one...if that happens, I'm going to insist that they ship to a UPS store and if they can't, I'll ask for a refund.  As well, UPS needs to quit letting this happen (it's a very common thing for their employees to steal these gaming systems).

For now, I'm just waiting for it to ship.  I don't think I need to order any other items for use with the gaming system.  Since it's 1 TB, I don't need a micro SD card right now (eventually, I may want one).  I have ordered a 100W charger as a backup to the OEM one.  I may eventually order a docking station for it.  I may also order a carry case and other accessories - I won't know exactly what I want until I start using the system.

My daughter bought one for her brother last year (a 512 GB LCD unit), then after seeing his, she bought a 512 GB OLED unit.  I saw both of theirs and wanted one, but didn't want to spend the money at the time.  I now have the money.  :)

As always, I'll keep you all up to date on my experience.

No comments: