Saturday, June 01, 2024

Second GoPro Hero 10 Black Gotcha - Camera Overheating

I've been using the GoPro Hero 10 Black for a bit now,  The last time I posted, I complained that there was no real preview option.  That issue still exists and is still annoying.  There have been more than a few times where I've discovered that my framing is off-center or is not capturing what I require.  I'm almost to the point where it's so annoying that I may replace this camera.

There's another annoying thing that's occurring.

I want to capture in 4K reslution at 60 FPS when I'm at the firearms range.  My range visits are usually an hour long but I don't shoot during that whole hour.  I only record when I'm shooting, and between shooting, I've to load mags or retrieve/replace the target.  I'm finding that the camera can never get through the session while being turned on.  At the last 10 minutes of the range session, I always find that the camera has shut down due to overheating.

This is highly annoying, as sometimes I don't even know that the camera is off...it doesn't audibly alert me (I can't see the camera, as it sits on my head, on a ball cap, using a hat mount).

Note that the range I frequent is an indoor range that is AC-cooled. Ambient temps are cool, to the point that I usually wear a jacket/hoodie.

The camera gets hot just by being on, it seems, then when it's recording, it gets hotter.  I've configured the camera to not have the camera screens on (I view the framing and control the camera using the Quik app on my phone).  Dialing back the resolution is a very LAME workaround, but that's what I think I'll have to do to prevent this from occurring.  :/

The lack of live previewing can be negated by just buying a 360 camera.  I'm sure most 360 cameras that aren't made by GoPro will not overheat.

This is depressing because Ive invested (financially) in using this camera.  I suppose I can sell it and every GoPro accessory I own to attempt to recoup financially.  I also spent a lot of time in researching if this was the camera for me.

So, the hunt begins for yet another camera.  One thing I haven't done is use the Osmo Pocket 3 at the range, and I think it will perform fine, but I really think a good inexpensive 360 camera will work...I don't need to use the $600+ Pocket 3 to replace the Hero 10.

UPDATE (8/13/2024):  I should've shared that the Pocket 3 also shuts down when I used it when capturing Youtube footage.  As with the GoPro, the OP3 overheats when recording in 4K (30 FPS), which is sad.  It's obvious that there are limitations with the higher resolutions.


No comments: