Friday, May 24, 2024

New Ear Buds - Beats Studio Buds +

I bought a new set of ear buds this week.  I bought the Beats Studio Buds +.

It's technical specs are here.

I'm still using my set of AirPod Pros (v1) and while they've not presented any issues that warrant immediate replacement, I got the Studio Buds for 30% off the normal price.  I basically bought these because they were on sale.

A few things I noticed right off the bat:

  • The charing pod uses USB-C, which I LOVE!  I've quite a few Lightning cables but USB-C is always better, IMO.
  • These come with an assortment of gel inserts, which allows a good bud-to-ear fitment.  I always hated the fact that I've to buy 3rd party solutions to get the AirPod Pros to work with my particular ear.  I don't have to worry about such things with the Studio Buds.
  • The Studio Buds have a larger charging case (it's more rounded than the AirPod case).
  • I love the way the buds "snick" into the case - each bud has a magnet (or each space within the case has a magnet - dunno which...there's some magnetics going on, for sure, though).
  • Pairing button is inside lid of the case.
I listened to both sets of buds back-to-back and both are on-par with each other as far as audio quality is concerned.  Both have great noise cancelling functionality, as well.

There's hardly anything to dislike.  

The only real gripe I have is that the case is larger (it has a larger footprint than the AirPods Pro case).  The case is slicker as well, but it could be due to my choice of cases...I've the clear case and buds, which has an unfinished feel.  The case looks really cool, though.

Another slight gripe would be that the form factor is small.  Small is good, unless you've big hands and fingers.  They're a bit more difficult to use when pressing the buttons on the buds.  It also means that you can't use the same accessories that you'd use with the AirPod Pros, such as the gel sports tethers.

Also, I don't know which bud belongs in which ear, either, but also not sure if it matters.  

These are trivial gripes, though.

UPDATE (6/1/2024): looking closely, I can see that each bud is labeled "R" or "L" on the bottom.  Since I've the clear case, it is very difficult to see the labeling but I'll include a pic below:



I'll provide updates throughout the year.

UPDATE (7/28/2024):

Although I love these buds (I use them more than I do my 1st Gen AirPods Pro), they don't stay in my ears all that well.  They stay in better than my AirPods in their stock configuration, although the Comply cushions make the AirPods stay in my ear.

As well, my right ear has a wider canal that appears to be between sizes.  I've tried all the different size OEM cushions but none of them work well in my right ear.

I checked to see if Comply has cushions for the Beats Studio buds and they do, so I ordered an assorted set.  I also ordered a set of LUDOS cushions - if those turn out to not work, I'm going to try to refund them (if I can't, there's not much of a loss, as they're not expensive).

No comments: